Wednesday, October 22, 2014

McIntosh, White Priviledge Response


In McIntosh's article she describes the advantages of being a white male in this society and I found that most of them do correlate with me and that I did not realize a good portion of them. For example, I have never been harassed by anyone while shopping. This might have to do with the fact that I'm a 6'2" white male as I may look intimidating and or innocent while shopping for shampoo or Old Spice deodorant. The same could not be said for someone of the opposite sex, height, and race. I don't have to be worried about being followed and raped either because the notion of someone doing that to a 6'2" white male seems ridiculous, though it probably rarely happens. So I don't really need to buy pepper spray or a taser to keep those sort of people at bay. Also buying flesh colored bandages threw me off a bit. The more I think about it I realize that I have never seen any shades of brown on a band-aid meant to blend with the skin. In fact I assumed that the band-aids were tan because of tradition more than skin color, because that's how I have always viewed band-aids, as a tan strip off adhesive and padding. I also notice that because there are so many white people in America, it is difficult to not find music or a position in power that includes a white person. In fact, it feels as though I am in an ocean of white with little experience swimming in different waters. It feels as though there is nothing special about me, like I'm just another white male American with certain expectations. The same could be said for others though I do not feel like I have tight group of my race to relate to since my race is diluted, like it's nothing special to see another white  person in a Stop and Shop or to see another on the street while walking to the RISD museum. With the good comes the bad and vice versa. While I feel protected by a community full of whites I feel distant from them as well. While I wish everyone had the priveledges I had, I know that change is slow and that the trend of a white dominated society may stay true for many years, probably decades. The paradigm shift from white privelidge to public privilege will happen. It's just a matter of when. And maybe then we will all be judged by our actions rather than our skin color.
As McIntosh said "To redesign social systems we need first to acknowledge their colossal unseen dimensions. The silences and denials surrounding privilege are the key political tool here." White men in power do not usually acknowledge their privilege. This is because it is invisible to them, because it is the norm for them, because it has never caused a problem for their lives, and so they do not acknowledge it and apply themselves to solving the problem of white privilege, it's not a problem to them, so why would they solve it?

http://everydayfeminism.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/white-privilege-6.jpg
 http://dougernst.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/white-privilege-college.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment