Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Meier, Why Can't She Remember That? response.

I found the speech patterns in early childhood to be interesting in this reading, how the culture of a family can be so influential in the way a child thinks, reacts, and speaks. Meier conveys the difference in the way several children in similar age ranges spoke and how it is related to their culture. I myself had difficulty speaking as a child as I was quiet and did not really convey language but rather actions. I do not know what that says about me but my sister was very talkative as a child. She would actually sing or play the blame game if she got in trouble, which would rarely happen, and it usually worked. I do not know if this has anything to do with culture as my family does not really have any connections left to our Scandinavian and Slavonic roots. Perhaps it was from watching our mother watch soap operas on the television, perhaps that is why she resorted to her ways of evading trouble. I really can't say, perhaps I was quiet because I preferred to be alone, playing with my legos and ignoring interaction with my family as much as possible, at this time both of my parents were beginning to have marital problems, keeping us up all night with their 10 p.m. yelling while we plunged our heads into our pillows, hoping everything would turn out all right, it did not. Maybe the lack of parenting or the constant chaos of fights and moving had something to do with our disjointing speech patterns. I really can't say.




Culture and Subculture
http://www.consumerpsychologist.com/cb_Culture.html

No comments:

Post a Comment